Optical Illusions - How the Brain can Trick Us
The human brain tricks us whenever it can!
The following images (famously created by Akiyoshi Kitaoka) are not animated - they seem to move even though they are static (they work even when printed).
Keep staring and you will notice curious rotating motions:
This image has a subtle rippling effect (absolutely no animation):
...while these lady bugs move whenever you are not staring directly at them:
This next image is GIF animated, but fascinating nonetheless. Follow these instructions:
1. Stare at the black cross in the center.
2. Within seconds, you will notice that the purple moving dot turns green!
3. Keep staring, and eventually all the purple dots will fade to grey!
Here is another static image. Stare at the cross in the middle and move your head back and forth from the screen. See the rotating motion?
Lastly, witness the elusiveness of colour!
1. Stare at the black cross in the middle.
2. Keep staring until all the colour fades to grey.